Sunday 18 March 2012

Getting ready for beans

If you have spent any much time talking to me about gardening you will know that my all time heroine is Alys Fowler. She had an amazing television series on the BBC a while back, used to be on Gardeners World (which actually made me watch it for a while) and writes a column for the Guardian which I always read at the in-laws. And the reason I love her isn't just because she has the best hair ever (better even than Rebekah Brookes and much more worthy of my adoration) she has completely influenced how I plan to garden forever. Her basic premise is that a garden should be both beautiful and useful and what better way to plan a garden in Walthamstow, one time home to William Morris. This means that everything has to either make my garden or home look lovely, or has to be edible, but preferably all of the above.

My garden may be far off the lovely, productive place I am dreaming of but I got one step closer today when I started work on an Alys idea I have been planning to steal for ages. She has an arch in her garden which she grows beans up*. It's pretty, gives the garden some interest and is easier to pick beans off than a wig-wam because you can just walk under the arch and pick away.

Our arch was a steal and only cost £6.18 from Wilkos



We've also decided where our little brick path is going to go - currently marked out by canes. Mainly so we knew where to put our arch. It may look bare and desolate now but come the summer it will be covered in tasty beans and lovely red flowers.

* Jon insists I appologise for linking to the Daily Mail but it was the only picture I could find on the whole of the internet that showed Alys's bean arch perfectly. So I am very sorry for making you click on a link to the Daily Mail website. Please don't judge us for it. Apparently it's actually a technically very good website, just full of crap - apart from the article on Alys.

No comments:

Post a Comment